Search engine optimisation people say you should be producing blog posts regularly. And it indeed helps improve online visibility. But what do you do if like most of us, you don't like writing?
And at the end of the day, it's not just about writing it's also about;
- Deciding what to write about.
- Getting it written in a way that suits you and your business.
- Sourcing the graphics and pictures.
- Posting to your blog.
- Promoting your post.
So it more than just writing. And you don't know all about how to do that.
What Are Your Options?
It is useful to produce blog posts regularly. So how can you go about doing that? What are your options?
- Hire someone else
- Get the writing done by someone from a writing site.
Hire It Done
What are the pros and cons of hiring a writer for your blog?
It's also expensive, especially if you also get the writer to do the graphics, posting and search engine optimisation.
Getting The Writing Done On A Writing Site
You can post your job on a writing site and get someone to write an article for you. It’s possible to get a decent blog post written for $100-$150
Here are a few sites that you could use
And of course, there are the general contractor sites like Upwork and Fiverr where you could select a writer.
Use Writer From A Writing Site
What are the pros and cons of using writers from a writing site for your blog?
It's possible to find great writers for your blog, but that process can be hit and miss, and you still need to get the posting and checking related work sorted out.
DIY Brief — And We Do The Rest
Here’s an alternative it might work for you and with you.
- Just take before and after pictures on your phone while you are on the job. Just make sure to take them in landscape format because that fits the blog post design better. You will have one job a week worth sharing with potential customers in your service area.
- Or you can take the odd video, for example of water running out of pipes or cockroaches running around everywhere.
- That’s essentially got the visual element of your blog post taking care of. You just need the words to go with it.
Alternatives for the words
I know you are busy, so if you don’t want to type it all out here’s what you can do.
- Get on your phone to record a verbal brief by answering the questions below.
- Get on the phone and record voice into a Google doc or a text file or a word doc answering the questions below. (See below)
- You can send us the pictures. Then we will call you and record a conversation with you where you talk about the job. Then we transcribe it and write a blog post from it.
Then just send pictures and the voice file or text file to us. Don’t SMS it or email it because stuff gets lost and images get shrunk, so they are no use.
We can then rework what you sent into a blog post and post it on your blog in draught formats or publish it live if you’re not particularly wanted to get involved in the publishing process.
Here’s some examples for you
It’s a simple case of answering these questions.
- Where was the job?
- What problem was the customer facing?
- What had they done to resolve it?
- Why did they contact you?
- What did you do to diagnose the problem?
- What did you do to fix it?
- What can people do to avoid the problem?
- Did you get a review from the customer or what did the customer think of your work? A review is better because we can add it to the article.
Download a copy of the checklist here
Does It Work To Post About Local Jobs?
These blog posts are both geographically and topically specific. For example, fixing a water leakage in Miranda or getting rid of mosquitoes in Menai. What that means is you’ll get very little traffic to each of the blog posts. But when you do, they are highly relevant to a person who is searching.
For someone looking for water leak repair Miranda or mosquito control Menai, your blog post will likely show up in the Google search engine near the top because nobody else is taking the time to publish a blog post of this type.
So it’s low traffic, high relevance and likely also high conversion because you just demonstrated explicitly, but you have the expertise, and you work in that region.
Here are a couple of examples
This search is for water meter relocation in a specific suburb. The blog post and website show up twice in the Google page plus the images taken are also showing in the images.
You can pretty much bet that someone searching for that service in the suburb or nearby will see it.
This search for marquee hire in Canberra brings up a page from a company in Sydney who is targeting the location.
It shows up amongst two local providers and provided, the service is cost effective will attrach some business
I can provide many other cases where this works, but you get the idea. It's a great investment in your time for just taking a couple of minutes to take photos and to talk into you phone.
Just contact us to find out more.
How to voice type into a Google Doc
You can use voice typing in Google Docs — don’t worry about typos. Just get it done.
That’s how I got most of this blog post done.